Monday, March 25, 2002

Oscar the Grouch

This is the first year I didn't watch the Academy Awards, and I have to say I don't regret it a bit. For years people have derided the show as an insufferable, self-congratulatory spectacle. But much as the prospect of Christians being mauled to death by lions attracted large crowds, so does the annual public display of the Academy's regard for itself. I know, I know: the glitz and the glamour of Hollywood, plus the showmanship of the production are supposed to be fun, and reason enough to watch. Well, they're not. The show and its hosts have been solid boredom in recent memory. And the speeches! Barbara Streisand's interminable speech in 2000 about how wonderful she was and how so many people in her career have also recognized her super-stardom was enough to turn anyone off of the Oscars for good. So what's left? As a regular moviegoer, I oftentimes had some interest in who was going to win. But this year I didn't even agree with the nominees, let alone the final choices. Once the Oscars ceased to be any indication of superior artistic ability or talent, and instead an acknowledgement of box office success or a political straw poll of Hollywood, I decided not to watch. So there.

No comments: